Wednesday, May 19, 2021

My Alix Dobkin Personal Anecdote

Famous lesbian activist musician, Alix Dobkin, passed away today at 80.  Alix was famous for the song “Amazon ABC” and others to all lesbians coming out in the 1980’s and later. During my illustrious but short lived standup comedy career 35 years ago, I had the honor of opening for Alix Dobkin in a Halloween concert in Olympia with the Righteous Mothers, a beloved northwest group.


I didn’t have show biz chops.  I trembled mightily before each show.  When I got to the theatre, I was told I would be introducing Alix after my first bit on stage.  In my naivety, I went up to Alix to ask her how she would like to be introduced.  I knew of her, of course, but that was the extent of it.  Alix’s response was, “I prefer personal anecdotes.”


In my nervousness, I clarified, “So, you’re referring to a story I have about hearing your music?”


She said, “Yes,” in a way that implied I was dumb as a post.


I said bluntly, “I’m sorry. I don’t have one.” I thought she had gall. She looked at me coldly. I went off to talk to the stage manager.  Alix did the same.  Shortly after, the stage manager informed me she would do the introduction.  Naturally, the stage manager did a marvelous job because she did have an Alix Dobkin personal anecdote.  Alix no longer made eye contact with me.


It was my first brush with a famous person.  I missed the mark.  When I put on my mustache for my second act, Alix did deign to tell me I looked “svelte.”  I repeated svelte stupidly, thanked her, and thought about what svelte might mean.



When I told this story to Ronnie this morning, she said, “I imagine Alix has forgotten.”  


“Undoubtedly,” I said. “Death will do that.” The good news is, “Hey, Alix.  I do have a personal anecdote.”  She probably wouldn’t want me to tell it at her memorial.


Here is the link to “Amazon ABC.”  (This was prior to the Amazon we all know so well.)


https://youtu.be/lmr3ZYa0Aaw


Rest In Peace, Alix.


Joceile


5.19.21


[Picture of a younger Alix Dobkin in jeans and a t-shirt.]

No comments:

Post a Comment