Friday, April 10, 2020

April 10, 1978

In the last century, 42 years ago today, I entered employment with the state of Washington. How is that even possible?  I was 20.  There are things in life that are simply inconceivable.  Ronnie’s dad worked with the fed’s Housing and Urban Development for over 40 years in New York City. I don’t know the exact number.  I wish I did so I could know where I stand in the competition. He retired at 65.

When I started, employees smoked at their desks with ashtrays full.  We didn’t know sexual harassment was illegal.  Jimmy Carter was president.  IBM Selectrics were the most fabulous typewriters ever made.

I’m still hoping not to retire. I’ll pretend I’m a doctor, lawyer, or professor and keep my hand in because I’m a professional. We’ll see how that goes. In the meantime, feel free to celebrate 42 years with me.  I’m a dinosaur. At least, I can say I didn’t work for the profit motive. I’ve been lucky. 

I hope one day soon I can re-enter my physical workplace to resume torturing my coworkers by being a comedic ruffian if not the oldest, most senior state worker in the building. I’m attaching a picture of me, Ronnie, and Alex after just 12 years of state work. I had yet to get gray hair. 

Best to all. 

Joceile 

4.10.2020

No comments:

Post a Comment