Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Is My Pocket Commercial Real Estate?

Well over a year ago, Apple trashed my iPhone 6.  I’ve been an Apple fan since well before they became their modern version of success and have always been interested in cutting edge technology.  However, iPhones have been getting bigger and bigger.  I am not a fan of giant phones but was tolerant of my iPhone 6.

Apple updated their operating system which purposely slowed down my iPhone 6 due to the aging of its battery.  Apple did not notify consumers of this implementation.  It came as a very sad surprise when my iPhone 6 slowed down instantly and dramatically.

At first, Apple stonewalled and wouldn’t admit the impact on older iPhones.  Finally after admitting the slow downs, they offered to replace iPhone 6 batteries for $29.  The catch was there was a three month waiting list or I could do without my phone for a week and mail it in.  Going without my phone was not an option.

I have always liked smaller phones.  While impatiently waiting for my new iPhone 6 battery, I began coveting the older, smaller phones.  I figured if my phone was going to be slow anyway I might as well have an older size phone I like. 



It turns out there is a big market for older iPhones.  Older iPhones are far easier to repair and refurbish than new iPhones.  In fact, brand new older model iPhones can be purchased on line.  eBay is my favorite resource for new, overstock, or refurbished iPhones.  I ended up purchasing a brand new smaller iPhone SE that was actually faster than my iPhone 6 even before the new operating system issues and far cheaper.

I was finally notified that my iPhone 6 battery was available at the Apple store.  Ronnie and I both trooped in with our iPhone 6s. Mine was replaced without incident.  The repairer came back with hers saying it had a “thermal event” and she would be given a brand new phone for the $29.  It would take a little longer to get her new iPhone downloaded with her information.  We looked at each other thinking, “What the heck is a thermal event?”  

I said, “It means it caught on fire.”

He nodded adding, “It was placed in a sand bag which was placed in our fire proof vault according to our protocol.”

Ronnie asked, “Does this happen very often?”

He said, “Not that often.”

I added, “But, often enough to have a fire protocol.”  He nodded.  Ronnie and I imagined the protocol would keep from evacuating the entire mall every time an iPhone had a “thermal event.”  We joked that forest fires would now be called “forest thermal events.”

With its new battery, my iPhone 6 kicked back into gear.  I, on the other hand, had become attached to my smaller phone and protective of my pocket space.  Ronnie is now using my iPhone 6 for her work phone.

In this technology driven world, I know we are constantly having our personal data and space leveraged for corporate commercial use.  There is an ongoing tension with demands for our eye balls, our focus, our thinking, and my new found pocket real estate.  I have rebelled in a small way.  I’m not going bigger.  I’m not going newer.  Refurbished iPhones from a reputable seller last nearly as long as new iPhones and cost 20% of the price.  I don’t need the latest bells and whistles.  I need well functioning basics.  At $200 versus $1000, I can buy an older iPhone every other year for ten years before I pay the price of the “latest and greatest.”

I’m exhorting us all to pick our place in this land of choices and make a stand.  The alternative is to continue to be swept away with the tsunami that is modern technology.  We all have to make choices.  Otherwise, we’re all in danger of losing more than our pocket space.

L’Chaim.

Joceile

5.1.19

[Picture of iPhone 6 with ruler and iPhone SE]

No comments:

Post a Comment