Saturday, September 29, 2018

I’m Not Shutting Up

Reflecting on this week, I have to wonder who I am. I enter life with a continuing passion. I have a direction. I check in with people. I give them support. And, I am always angling for helping shape the world around me to reflect my belief that we are all important and we all have something to give. 


To be sure, there are some people I don’t agree with or naturally, actually don’t like. But for someone who has a glimmer of adding value to the world, I am cheering them on. My cheering is as much for me as it is for them. I have to believe I can make a difference. I have to believe there is hope for all of us. Without it, the sticky claws of Depression try to restore their hold on me.  I won’t have it. I can’t tolerate it. 

What can I do to make the world around me a better place?  I vote. I give money.  What really matters to me is whether I show up, add value, and keep swinging at the ball. I never know when I’m going to hit a home run, and it motivates me. 

I give positive feedback or compliments on something I appreciate whenever I can. I give negative feedback when necessary adding in my presentation how my being honest benefits both parties. I speak truth to power.  At this point, I can’t not participate. Life is just too damn short. 

It’s hard to talk about this without resorting to platitudes and cliches. I’ve heard a million of them. I use my words to describe more than an emoji, more than uttering the banal and at this point ridiculous comment of “Awesome!”

As a small child, my mom badly wanted me to stop talking at times.  I ended up with scotch tape over my mouth.  I’ve worked hard to own my life.  Fighting through child abuse, assault, rape, mental illness, physical disability, coming out, gender confusion, and Depression so bleak that every day was a mighty effort. 

I may offend you but by god I am not shutting up. Deal with it. 

L’Chaim. 

Joceile 

9.28.18

Picture by Allan Weingarten, 2018 [Picture of woman with shortish gray hair wearing brown v-neck sweater in restaurant booth]

No comments:

Post a Comment