Sunday, September 9, 2018

I Can’t Eat Anymore!

Shiffy, Ronnie’s cousin in Montreal, wants to be remembered as a world class wiz with needle and thread. But most notable to me, other than the love and acceptance she shows me, is her mind-boggling ability to provide food on the table for the family she loves.  She brings delectable dishes for a meal...and then brings more delightful dishes, and (really?) more and, (oh my god, Shiffy), more, and (we’re dying here) still more, and (I CANNOT eat any more!) and still more. 

Her son, Allan, says, “Ma, I’m in pain.  My only hope is the dessert cart.”

The spread she puts out would impress any corporate retreat catering company, as well as, bar and bat mitzvahs, weddings, and you name it.  One time, we were meeting Shiffy and Shavey, her husband, in upstate New York at a vacation rental lake house.  Ronnie, Alex, and I were flying, driving, and taking a ferry boat to arrive.  We got to the house and Shiffy proudly tells us she has gone to the grocery store and stocked up on everything we could (conceivably) need for the week.

We were invited into the kitchen and quickly noticed the counters were filled with food and the top of the refrigerator was similarly loaded.  When she opened the refrigerator, it was packed to the brim.  (I was so impressed that I took a picture.)  Not only did we have food for the week (there were five of us), but we also had food for the neighbors which would likely have kept the neighborhood well fed for a month!

It is true that Shiffy is dazzling with a needle and thread.  I still use the 101 Dalmatians fleece quilt she made when I am sleeping in my recliner.  She is prolific and has a basement full of material pieces that she has rescued from the rubbish bins but I would hold her up as a model provisioner for any invading army.  Were Canada only to harness her skills, it could attain world domination merely through other countries’ stomachs.

“No, really, Shiff, I can’t eat another bite.”

Love.

Joceile

9.9.18

Photos:  Shiffy and Alex; Shiffy and Shavey (2006 and 2007) [Picture 1 of senior woman in light gray suit sitting with young woman in black dress, both Caucasian.  Picture 2 of a Caucasian senior couple, man wearing blue suit and tie, woman in black suit sitting at dining table.  Picture 3 of same woman in blue nightgown, proudly smiling next to open refrigerator full of food inside and on top.]





1 comment:

  1. At our Jewish cousin’s house, we are well fed...over fed...completely full.

    ReplyDelete