Monday, October 17, 2016

Just Call Me "Wheels" For Now

Recently, my fortunes changed, and I found myself having to use a wheelchair to get around.  This is not my first time finding this to be true. Although, I fervently wish it would be my last time.  A coworker asked if she could call me “Wheels.”  You bet.  I’m good with that.

The deal about using a wheelchair is that it humbles me. I cannot hide my disability from anyone who sees me. I have to take on verbalizing my needs. It may not be true for everyone but sometimes I need a push or a door held open for me. Often, I have to ask for help, because people simply don't know what I need unless I tell them. This dynamic is okay but it's humbling.

I also get to learn about the little details of accessibility in my office building. Please don't take this as a complaint but rather a recitation of the facts--some of which are humorous. For example, I park in the garage at my building. But, I work on the second floor. The most direct route to get from car to cubicle is as follows:  park on garage level D; elevator to floor 3; plaza level to bridge to third floor of building (did you know that the plaza bridge is tilted slightly upward coming in?); elevator to floor 2; and in wing door to cubicle.  Whew!

This works fine unless it's raining. Quick rundown of that path from floor 2:  elevator to first floor; through Accounting to ramp to garage floor E; elevator to garage level D; and over to car. Whew, again!

Then, there are interesting disability access door buttons. The lobby has the best one:  swipe badge, hit button, door opens to elevator area, and roll in. For this one, I don't even have to wait around for the door to close to prevent tailgating, because the receptionist is right there watching.  Sometimes, she even hits the button for me.

Entering from the plaza on floor 3 is interesting. Swipe card, move six feet back to hit accessibility button, move six feet forward to catch opening door. Do not dillydally during this process or you will have to repeat it.

Then, there's my personal favorite--the second floor restroom and my wing door at 2E. We do not have accessibility buttons for every wing door. So, it can make for some quirky confusion. If I swipe and hit the button at 2E, it opens the door to the restroom and not the wing door. Oops. Sorry, ladies, I'm not actually coming in there right now.

Between the Washington State Law Against Discrimination (enacted long before the Americans with Disabilities a Act) and the ADA, we are very lucky to have such a wealth of accessibility options.  I am very appreciative and grateful. As is true with many things though, there's just always one more thing. As Roseanne Roseannadanna said, "It's always something."

I hope you have a good Disability Employment Awareness Month. As always, if you have questions, please, just ask me.  I really don't mind.

October 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment