Friday, August 5, 2016

Rescue on the High Seas

Tonight as I was making dinner, I looked out at the lake and saw something swimming.  It didn't quite look like a person, but I couldn't tell.  I got the binoculars and saw it was a dog.  Ronnie looked and said, "We gotta go."  The dog was out in the lake swimming in circles with no people in sight.

I went down to the boat and saw some kids.  I called to ask if they needed help.  They said yes.  I got the gas can.  Ronnie untied the boat.  We took off.  A little boy (11ish) swam out to the dog.  As we got closer, the dog started sinking.  As we pulled up, the dog was going completely under.  Fortunately, I have long arms.  I knew I didn't have much time.  The dog was a dark grey, pit, and pretty strong.  It was about six inches under the surface of the water.  I reached down and pulled it up.  Ronnie got the dog up the ladder and then the boy.  The dog was totally freaking out, and the boy was shaking.

We headed back for the dock.  But the mother with a baby in her arms was on a different dock.  There were two girls, the boy, and the dog wanting to get from one dock to the one where the woman was.  Unfortunately, they chose to try to swim and jumped off the dock.  The dog followed right back into the water.  Thus, there was another rescue.

The dog came within minutes of drowning.  Had I not looked out and Ronnie and I taking action, the dog would be dead now.  Apparently, the family was taking care of the dog, Misty, and didn't know anything about the dog and water.

Here's the deal:  Nobody on the lake saw what happened other than us and the family.  When we got back to shore, there was no cheering or honking horns.  How could that be?  Anyway, the dog is safe.  The kids are safe.  The mother said she won't be coming back to the lake with the dog.  Amen.

Side note:  When I went to work the next day, my work buddies had seen my Facebook post above and had filled my work space with a zillion life saver rolls and signs with a dog in a life ring which said, "Joceile is my Hero."  That is when the cheering began.  Both the dog and I are very lucky. 

7.17.15

No comments:

Post a Comment