Wednesday, November 20, 2019

For I Am the Tree

I have been doing a Chi Kung exercise called standing still like a tree.  It made words come into my mind.  I wrote them down:


For I Am the Tree

Standing here in stillness
Connecting with the space
Standing strong and tall
Reaching into the earthliness
My essence undeterred
I am one of many
For I am the tree

There is movement in my branches
Connection in my roots
Homes created for many
Air exchanged for air

Sunshine blends my being
Shelter in the storm
Rain pelts through my body
Heat restores my growth
Branches bend in wind
Bowing to the snow
Life continues calling
For I am the tree

The gift of life is straining
As I see and I am seen
I stand above and connect below
With the earth and all its forces
Persistence is my goal

My kind is straight and tall
Or sharply gnarled and bent
My branches reach beyond me
The essence that is life
To celebrate the love
That connection is meant to be

Friends may fall
Or be taken
The fire may consume
Rebudding is my energy
The life of all I know

A person may stand with me
And notice what I feel
Standing with my sisters
Preparing for the changes
We’ve learned to know so well

She seeks to know what I know
Something I can share
A calmness and completeness
An understanding here

Standing with conviction
We don’t run
We don’t hide
To face the coming shifts
A cautious rising tide

The earth has many faces
Each of them so fine
Trusting in each other
Sustaining in our heart
Blessed by the knowing
Standing still as all

My friend she seeks to learn
All that I have known
Imparted so very slowly
A tree can only show

Listen in the heart
Silent with your voice
Breathing, feeling, waiting
You will be like me
For I am the tree


Joceile
11/20/19

[Picture of two Douglas Fir trees looking up into blue sky.]

No comments:

Post a Comment