Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Friendly Warning

Message sent to my coworkers today:

Friendly Warning

Hi, all.  Forty years ago today, I started employment with the state of Washington, LNI, as a Clerk 1, aka file clerk.  I was young, full of idealism, and just trying to get through life.  Somehow, I got caught up in this relentless cycle of employment.  It’s called the Pay and Return Cycle. It is not well publicized.  In a nut shell, the cycle is set up when an employee comes to work, is paid, returns to work, and is paid again.  This cycle of predictable reward can turn out to be endless.  I have just been another victim. 

I write today to warn my fellow employees to BEWARE!  This could happen to you.  But, you have a choice.  You can get caught up in this cycle unawares.  Or, you can strive to do your best work, turn this cycle on its ear, and make it work for you. 

I have been extremely lucky to end up with work I love and coworkers I respect and enjoy despite my having been a victim of this wicked cycle.  Thanks for joining me on this ride. 

No, I am not retiring.  My plan is two to five more years.  I’m sorry to be the one to share this bad news. 

Best wishes and good luck to all of us. 

Joceile 

4.10.18


No comments:

Post a Comment